3D Printing in the Artroom

This last week I decided to get a 3D printer for the Artroom at SCE. Why? I have a student who is very passionate about technology and as a tech guy myself, I thought why not? Well, the model I bought was rated pretty high and only ran about $200. So the investment wasn't huge and I can learn a lot without spending an arm and a leg. After I got acclimated to how it works, I asked one of my 6th-grade classes if they were interested, they could create accounts on Tinkercad. This is a simple to use, web-based 3D design site the kids could use to start designing models. Huge success! All I can say is I spend all day printing models for the kids. The average time to print on this model is about 2 hours. WARNING! Make sure the kids go to the learning section on the website. And do not let them print things that others have already made. WARNING!! #2 Be aware of the keychain syndrome. This is where a student learns to make a keychain and then wants to make one for all her friends and their friends and their friends.... 

Comments

Popular Posts