It's all advocacy


I've heard many art teachers whine and complain about being the go to person in there school whenever a banner needs made or a backdrop needs painted for a play. Having taught for 23 years, I've made many of these things and done it willingly. (as long as its not requested 2 day before the performance) :) I do it because it's in some sense part of my job. Do I get paid for it? No, and I wouldn't ask to be paid either. Its part of building a cooperative culture that drives my decision to make these. It says to my colleagues that I will help them and support them in whatever they're doing. It is a way of giving back to the school and demonstrating how important art is to me and society as a whole. I take pride in trying to fit as much art in and around the school as possible. I've framed enough student artwork to encircle the hallways at our school. I've framed every yearbook cover the students have made and filled a wall with those. I've done 4, all school legacy projects that help promote school pride and added paintings above all the drinking fountains. So painting a pack drop is just another activity I do for the school to make the school experience better for the kids.




Comments

Popular Posts