Remote Teaching and Learning during the COVID19 Crisis


Where do I start? What will I need? How in the world am I going to teach Art while being separated from my kids, my classroom? I asked myself all these questions when my school decided to suddenly shut down for the COVID19 pandemic.  It seemed like it was only going to be for the week leading up to Spring Break. But then it was decided to be closed until May 4th.  Or longer. Trying to figure out how to teach kids over the internet is going to be new and challenging. I've done the one day eLearning lessons but those are only one day a month or so. This will be different.
When the call was made, we had two hours to grab what we thought we needed. I grabbed the main things, I thought I would use: computer, document camera, some books and the knowledge that I can do this.  During the first week, I felt as though I was running around like a chicken with its head cut-off. It wasn't the lessons part, but the connections part. The making of lessons using video (Flip Grid, QuickTime, etc) was hard. The kids need to see our faces and hear our voices. It was tough because before when kids wanted to talk to you, they could do it in class, or in the hallway. Now it was all times during the day. from 8 in the morning to 10 at night. Kids would email or send flipgrids to me.  I felt they were as lost as I was. Were they bored? Maybe. Being in a "lockdown" where we are not allowed to go outside or be within 6 feet of someone is a huge change. We are social creatures. Even if we feel we don't like crowds. Just knowing someone is there to talk to was comforting. Now all of a sudden that is removed. Teachers are creative and resilient people. If the first week is any indication of what will come, I know we will continue to innovate and develop some impressive things.

Comments

Popular Posts