Seesaw Learning Journal

Wow! have times changed during the last twenty years. It was twenty years ago I applied for a grant with the Department of Education to implement e-Portfolios in my art room. I received two tower computers with large monitors and hard drives, a scanner and software for about $7000.00. Top of the line stuff for 1996. I worked hard to find a good workflow for students in order to create an e-portfolio. Over the years, I've tried many different programs and systems but never found one that was easy enough, fast enough and mobile enough to meet the high volume of work I needed it for. I never really got into a groove with it.

Two years ago, our school went 1:1 with iPads. Awesome! but Digital Conversion is a slow process. I tried a few apps, but nothing really sparked...long term.

Then one day I came across Seesaw. Seesaw is a learning journal (portfolio) that was designed for students as young as 5 years old. In order to use it, students open up the app on their iPad, take a picture of a special QRcode, which logs them into their classroom, then take a picture of their artwork. They can write about it, talk about it or even shoot a video. It's an amazing app. There is even a parent app that allows parents to receive updates whenever their child adds something to their portfolio.

I really like this app and hope to continue its use in my classroom.


Comments

Popular Posts